Old July 4th 07, 06:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_1_]

Default Glider Stall Spin Video on YouTube

Edgar wrote:
He sure looks like he is flying fast enough that a stall wouldn't have
occurred. Something break?

Look at the wind sock: There's a strong tailwind.

According to the German glider forum, it is a Jantar. Winch launch, rope
break, 180 to a downwind landing on a parallel runway. Got a tad slow
and when he applied left aileron, the right wing stalled.

The unanswered question is why turn? If the winch cable breaks at 80m
almost by definition there's room to land ahead on a normal airfield,
especially with the sort of wind the sock is showing.

Was this at one of those glider-only fields that I'm told some German
clubs use or like I've heard Drury Hill in NZ described? The type with a
small launch/landing area and the winch set up at the end of a farm
track some distance away?

Wish I knew what that airfield looks like.

BTW, according to the Sailplane Directory a Jantar looks similar to that
but has upper and lower surface brakes. I could only see top surface
brakes in that clip, so my guess would be that its a DG-500 rather than
a Jantar.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK