Old October 3rd 07, 09:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Hanson

Default Aluminum composite reportedly stronger, lighter than carbon

At 17:24 03 October 2007, Bill Daniels wrote:

'Udo' wrote in message
roups.com...
From the Delft University:

http://www.compositesworld.com/news/...October/112036

Udo

Established aircraft manufacturers have a huge investment
in riveted
aluminum technology. This material lets them delay
the costs of climbing
the learning curve of pure composites. It may not
be a good as pure
composites overall, but it can be used with conventional
construction
methods. There are still open questions about bend
radii and rivet hole
dimensions. We'll see.

bildan

Actually that link is form Compositesworld. Here is
the Delft link:
http://www.tudelft.nl/live/pagina.js...b2-4dbb-8ea5-c
7601acbbd1e〈=en
(may require some link reconstruction), and a link
from TG Daily:
http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/34052/118/
note: Delft does not claim it to be 'immune to metal
fatigue' as suggested in other link's writeups on the
subject, but 'nearly immune' is how Delft puts it;
details details...
This is a new material, so shortcomings of existing
materials may not apply. On that note, I have emailed
Prof Benedictus (cited by Delft for queries to more
info) for more detailed info and will share anything
he mayprovide. I am sure he is swamped with requests
though, as I have seen I'm not the first person who
is curious enough about this material to ask him questions
about it.

Paul Hanson

"Do the usual, unusually well"--Len Niemi