View Single Post
Old October 4th 17, 02:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wit Wisniewski
external usenet poster

Default Glider near miss with Airliner (emergency climb) near Chicago yesterday?

I question the safety culture at the FAA and the airline operators. They do not appear to be minimizing the risk of collision. Do they need to send transport aircraft so much into airspace with VFR traffic that they know exists, is hard to see, and has unknown and unpredictable location? The faster traffic doesn't even have the right of way.

The inverted wedding cakes enable Class A traffic to steeply descend into the Class B or C with minimal transition of airspace containing unknown hazards. Instead, lots of approaches are made fast and shallow.

I expect the FAA and the operators to know that see-and-avoid can't be relied upon when the closing speed is high due to limitations of human eyesight.. High closing speeds hamper detection for both the fast and slow aircraft.

Wouldn't we have a safer environment if the FAA secured more practical technology for the 'little guy'?

I appreciate discussion of GA safety culture, but it is the fast traffic that causes a serious hazard to us and themselves. Gliders and little single engine aircraft don't collide "with" fast traffic, as the reports say. The fast traffic collides INTO the slow traffic. Shouldn't the burden of ensuring safety through technology and procedure be on them?

Wit