Old April 3rd 04, 05:43 PM
Kevin Brooks

"Henry J Cobb" wrote in message
Kevin Brooks wrote:
Actually, any protestations "too much" are due to trying to correct the
ridiculous assertion that it has *no* air to ground capability as is. I
understand fully that the optimization of that capability requires
money--which is why there is a spiral development plan in place.

Recently in
this NG we have seen folks try to claim the $11 billion estimate was

solely
directed at turning the F/A-22 into a strike platform; not the case, as

it
also includes air-to-air upgrades, ISR upgrade, etc. IMO, the F/A-22

does
indeed have its share of problems, chief among them being the change in

the
nature of the threat it was originally intended to counter; I went on

record
supporting a 180 aircraft buy before that number even became fashionable

in
the DoD rumor mill. Currently I'd support a 200-220 number. Nobody has

(with
any factual basis) accused me of being a rabid supporter of the

program--but
I don't think there is any point in making up negative points about it
either, which is largely what we have been seeing of late.

So let's make lemonade here.

Give the F/A-22 as close to the same sensors, computers and software as
the F-35 as possible so that not only is the JSF kickstarted but also
the F/A-22 will have an upgrade path in the future as improvements are
made to the JSF.

Yah, and just restart the development prgram for the F/A-22 all over again
while you are at it, too, huh? I don't think so.

Brooks

-HJC