Old February 29th 04, 06:44 AM
Tarver Engineering

"George Z. Bush" wrote in message
Ron wrote:
Is anybody making the ridiculous claim that GWB "made it on
his own?" He wouldn't have gotten any of those jobs without
parental influence...and he certainly wouldn't have gotten into
the Texas Air Guard.

Parents can not get you your BA or BS degree.

They can indeed, especially if they are alumni and/or are public figures.
They're what are called legacy degrees.

They are called legacy admissions. The student still has to do the work.

They cant get you thru UPT

They cant get thru F-102 training.

The offspring of public figures often are extended courtesies and

consideration
not available to others.

Fighter pilot's sons are put to the head of the line for selection, but the
student still must do the work.

Parents cant make you excel at pilot training and ACM.

I don't believe I ever read of a claim that he excelled. When he took his
AFOQT, his application form reflected a pencil entry of 25th pctl, which

was the
lowest level acceptable for entrance into pilot training. I'm not even

sure if
the pencilled in entry didn't replace a lower original one.

You are mistaken, the Guard thought highly of GW's skills.

They also cant get you your MBA.

He himself acknowledged that he was a mediocre student who spent most of

his
time drinking and doing as little as possible in order to get through the
program. My father was a sheet metal mechanic and with a similar academic
performance from me, Harvard would have bounced me out on my ass in a

heartbeat.
Let's not be so naive about the influence of parents who are public

figures
and/or alumni.

No, GW admitted he was a mediocre student at Yale.

The Harvard MBA is the real deal.

Nor do parents just give you leadership.

He has accomplished far more than most people, and while connections may

help
open the door, they do not get your thru or guarantee success. If a

Democrat
or Green had done many of the things he has, they would be trumpeting

those
accomplishments left and right.

It's all in the eye of the beholder.

Yes.