Old July 15th 04, 12:11 AM
Peter Duniho

"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message
In a previous article, (Dave Jacobowitz) said:
But how do you get distance? All I can think of is having multiple

I'm pretty sure they guess the distance based on the strength. So a very
strong strike will show as closer than it really is, and a weak one will
show further away.

This is basically true, and the 'spherics receivers have been known to
suffer from that problem. However, my understanding is that part of what
makes the receivers so successful is additional filtering or logic done on
the processing that helps correct for those errors.

Frankly, I suspect the original poster has a better background for
understanding exactly what kind of signal analysis could be used than
anything I could post. But I'm guessing that things like differences in
signal propogation for different frequencies and/or amplitudes provides some
sort of way to compare signal ratios to help refine the distance estimate.

Pete