Old September 26th 04, 02:36 PM
Rocky

(bryan chaisone) wrote in message . com...
How does one communicate with ATC when one is deaf?

Bryan "The Monk" Chaisone

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tego ry=31853

Bryan
I trained a couple of pilots who were deaf and they often went into
controlled airports. It was done via flight plans in which the
destination airport was advised NO RADIO and the pilots look for light
signals on arrival downwind. My pilots would write out their flight
plan and ask someone to call FSS to file it for them (via notes and
pantomime)and to open it when they took off. Certainly they would be
unable to fly legally in Class B but even then a 7600 transponder code
would alert ATC to a potential problem.
On a recent training flight we lost electrical and for all practical
purposes were "deaf". It was good for my student as he was able to see
how to actually come back into controlled airspace, alert the tower of
a radio problem, and land/taxi back to parking. No big deal if you use
your head and all the available resources.
Ol Shy & Bashful