Old May 6th 04, 01:06 AM
Greg Copeland

On Wed, 05 May 2004 13:16:07 +0000, Peter wrote:

Does anyone else get any spam emails from a porn site?

It shows a pictures saying FREE LIVE TEENS, ENTER HERE.

Its connected to a subdomain of site.voila.fr

I don't know how they have got my email address, becuase I don't use it for
anything else but posting here!

But I do know it is VERY annoying! I get over 40 e-mails from them a day.
Its a pain in the back side as one would say!

Any feedback would be appreciated

Peter

If you're getting spam, chances are it will only get worse. Often these
guys share lists with each other. Which means, spam counts tend to go up
rather than down. Because of the many, many security issues with
Microsoft software, it's fairly easy for spamers to validate that the
email address is valid and being recieved by a human. You do need to act
and act now.

If at all possible, I suggest that you save your self some hassle and
change your email address. If you are not able to change your address,
then go ahead and start looking into spam filtering software. Chances
are, you're going to need it. Here's some fairly good stuff yet it may
not be straight forward for you to install it.
http://spambayes.sourceforge.net/ You will need to "train" the software so
that it knows what is good email (ham) versus bad email (spam). Another
option would be to invest time into migrating from outlook express to a
better mail client. Mozilla's (as in Netscape) mail client (Thunderbird
0.6) is also an excellent option. It has built in anti-spam features and
is fairly easy to use and/or train. You can find it he
http://www.mozilla.org/products/thun...dSetup-0.6.exe

Long story short, don't use your real email address when posting to news
groups. I highly recommend you create a throw away email address on one
of the many free mail sites (yahoo, hotmail, etc.) and use some
dirivation of that address when posting. Just FYI, Yahoo has some of the
best anti-spam software around for free email, so, even if that address
does get spammed, much of it will be treated accordingly. This enables
you to still make use of the throw away address until it becomes too
bogged down with spam.

Hope this helps!

Cheers!