Old July 29th 03, 01:06 AM
Vaughn

"Bill Daniels" wrote in message

I'll give this one a try.

As we all know, the pitch stability/control system is like a seesaw with

the
download produced by the horizontal tail balanced by the downward force of
the weight of the glider acting at the center of gravity with the center

of
lift acting as the fulcrum.

In level flight the downforce at the center of gravity equals the all-up
weight of the glider and there is sufficient reserve up elevator authority
to stall the wing.

In a 60 degree bank, for example, the downforce at the CG is twice the
weight of the glider due to the centrifugal force of the turn. However,

the
elevator effectiveness is the same as in level flight so it cannot

overcome
the increased downforce at the CG and bring the wing to a stalling AOA.

As Derek points out, with most modern gliders in a steep turn, the wing
cannot be brought to a stalling AOA. The glider is, in effect, becoming
nose-heavy due to centrifugal force.

Thank you for that. I suspect that there may be a little more to it
than that, but your explanation is clear, concise, and portable enough that
a few of us CFIGs will probably be stealing it.

Vaughn

Bill Daniels