Old April 24th 05, 01:15 AM
Peter R.

Scott D. wrote:

I am assuming that you are going to go to LVS VOR then head north,
or to ALS VOR and then through LaVeta Pass to Gosip.

My first plan was to fly to the Albuquerque VOR (ABQ), north to Las Vegas
(LVS) VOR, then along the airway into Denver.

You all certainly have a lot of military airspace in Arizona, New Mexico,
and Colorado to consider!

Both ways are
easily passable with your Bonanza. The thing that you need to really
watch out for is the afternoon thunderstorms that tend to pop up that
time of year. They can get pretty sever real fast but they are
usually gone just as fast.

That confirms what I have read. My plan was to leave early in the AM for
the four hour flight so that I could arrive before noon.

I have been flying in that area for over 3
years now and I find that the turbulence isn't too bad. If you do get
bumped around, just fly a little further east and it will die down.

Good to know.

The Wet Mountains tend to have the worst turbulence consistently so I
try to stay away from them, but time to time, I will get up around
16000 and get over them with little problems.

What VOR are those mountains near?

Just curious, but what airport are you planning on going to in Denver?

My brother lives in Firestone, CO, which is directly north of Denver by
about 25 miles. The closest airports appear to be Platte Valley (18V) and
Erie Muni (48V), both of whom have pretty good fuel prices. I prefer a
hangar option for the few nights I will be there. Have any opinion on
either airport?

--
Peter