Old May 4th 04, 12:55 PM

kage wrote:
: The trouble with the KNS80 is that there used to be a few VOR\DME RNAV
: approaches around. But the majority of these have been de-commissioned. That
: makes the KNS80 a good, but large DME, and can occasionally be used to back
: up some other approach. They back up NDB approaches nicely, if close to a
: VORTAC.

: The price you see them selling for is exactly what they are worth.
: Considerable trouble to use them (I did for years) for direct to anywhere.
: Just about any GPS has greater utility, including handhelds. They take too
: much panel space for what they do.

I will concede that any GPS has more convenient utility for may operations. I
fly behind a VFR GPS/COM as my primary nav instrument, because the "bang for the buck"
makes it a good idea. Aside from the IFR approach capability, getting a Garmin 530
installed for $15-20k doesn't get you any more accurate information than an $800
hand-held GPS, though... just as you say. Not a good price/performance choice, and
puts a lot of faith in one magic box.

In my avionics situation, I needed a VOR-NAV to go with my GPS's COM. I also
needed a glideslope. Given the price of a KN-53 with glideslope costs *more* than a
KNS-80 with much less functionality, it was a no-brainer. Besides, when flying around
in the soup (or not), I don't want to have to poke the GPS dozens of times to find out
where I am relative to something else (poke-poke-twist/twist-'K'-twist/twist-'P'
-twist/twist-'S'-twist/twist-'K'-twist/twist-enter). I like the simplicity of dialing
'116.8' and seeing a DME. Again, personal thing and I certainly wouldn't like flying
without my or using the RNAV as primary on a direct flight for a long distance. As an
aid to situational awareness without having to mess with the GPS, though, it's great.

-Cory

* The prime directive of Linux: *
* - learn what you don't know, *
* - teach what you do. *