Old June 14th 05, 05:19 PM
Guillermo

"Chris W" wrote in message
news:Uyrre.28604$rb6.27678@lakeread07...
Isn't this 30 *minute* reserve rule for day VFR flight a bit odd? Here
are 2 examples to illustrate why I say that. In a J3 Cub you are going
to go just over 35 miles in those 30 minutes. In an RV-7, you can go
100 miles with that same 30 minutes reserve. If there is a head wind
the difference is going be even greater. Both airplanes need about the
same length runway, yes I know the cub can land in less space, but both
need less than 1000 feet. Wouldn't a reserve rule that stated the
minimum distance you could fly in calm air be a better rule?

I use an hour to an hour and a half reserve as a personal minimum. Wouldn't
feel comfortable with the minimums stated in the FAR anyways...