Old June 18th 07, 08:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval
Rob Arndt[_2_]

Default "Seeking Foreign Buyers For Osprey"

On Jun 18, 12:20 pm, RapidRonnie wrote:
I guess common sense is not your forte. An Apache has a hell of lot
better chance at survival than a troop-carryong transitional
rotorcraft with exposed engines at the tips of vunerable wings. It is
not heavily armored as well.

When civilians and the military alike call the V-22 things like Turkey-
Shoot, Easy Prey, and Let's Pray, I think they show a definate lack of
confidence with the craft. Time will tell.

You missed who the comment was directed to, didn't you??

The Apache is a moderately good, quite overpriced attack helicopter.
The Osprey is a flying deathtrap and a worst-possible-design attempt
at VTOL. It can't be flown as a conventional aircraft-I guess it can
be landed in shear-off-the-rotors forward mode, but it's something you
can't practice. It has two engines, a pessimal number for VTOL even
with cross-shafting and suffficient excess power.

We should concede we were bamboozled, yes, bamboozled and have the
Osprey fleet used for reefage in salt water and walk away.

Sorry, only my name appeared on that post with that quote below. I
took it as a swipe at me...

Rob