Old March 15th 05, 01:46 AM
Dave in San Diego

"John Carrier" wrote in
:

[redacted]

As to the tip tank question, the tanks were designed to be
interchangeable. The core components could be flopped around (putting
the filler caps topside and vents, bleed air etc where they needed to
be) and the light connected as appropriate for the wing ... I wonder
if there were any cases of wiring the lights incorrectly (a classic
opportunity for Murphy to spin a wrench)?

[further redacted]

Based on other encounters with components usable in multiple locations,
but with slight functional or wiring differences, my SWAG (and this is
*only* a well informed guess) is that the connector on the tank involved
three wires from the lights - red, green and common - and the connector
on each wingtip had only two wires connected - red and common on the left
side, and green and common on the right side - so that correct connection
was usually assured. If the engineers design it right in the first place,
it's pretty hard for the maintenance guys to screw it up. YMMV.

Dave in San Diego