Old February 25th 04, 10:37 PM
mikem

Rules for self-fueling on the airport are separate from storing
flammables in the hangar. Requires training, approved containers,
bonding, and distance from nearest other buildings and aircraft.

Storing of flammables in our leased hangars at SLIA is strictly
prohibited in the lease.

Fuelling of aircraft inside the hangar is strictly prohibited in the lease.

If you do it, and you start a fire which effects other hangars, guess
who they are going to come after???

MikeM

Brett Justus wrote:

Our airport commission has talked about going around and looking in
hangars to crack down on "volatile" liquids being stored within. I
think mainly they're concerned about people keeping fuel for use in
heaters, where there is a more likely ignition source in addition to
the liquids being present.

I would like to propose they consider limits on quantities and safety
rules concerning use rather than an all out ban -- which would largely
go ignored anyway. We have several homebuilders; how can they build
planes without ever using flammables? I burn auto gas and usually
bring out 5-6 5 gallon containers, keeping them in the hangar until
used. If I have 40 gals in my C-172 + 30 gals in cans, that's still a
lot less than a Cherokee six might have in its tanks in the next
hangar. The danger is during fueling and that could be addressed with
rules on grounding, fire extinguisher present, door open to ventilate,
etc.

If anyone has a copy of hangar rules that are reasonable, I would like
to get a copy if possible. I'd also appreciate hearing from any who
will take the time to respond what the rules are at your airport.

Thanks,

- Brett