Old October 19th 17, 03:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Haven

Default Beringer Disc Brake Kit for Schemm-Hirth gliders - experience and effectiveness?

On Wednesday, October 18, 2017 at 1:32:29 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Has anyone ever got a hydraulic Tost disk brake to work WELL on a Ventus 2CM? I'm convinced I've bled my brakes as well as they can be bled, and STILL the braking is very weak. I get some small braking action, but nowhere near being able to put the glider on its nose, or flat-spot the tire. I can slow down for a taxiway turn off, so long as its well ahead, but not enough to help on a short runway, or enough for a real emergency stop. I suspect the wire cable between the control stick and the cylinder under the seat must be stretching. I may try a thicker cable (I'm experimental).

We, the owner of a Discus2b and I, found the hydraulic line between the master cylinder and the caliper had failed inside, expanding just enough to not give adequate pressure to the caliper! Replaced the line and voila, good braking but alas, that glider now rests in pieces on the Whites.