Old August 19th 03, 05:07 PM
Dr. Anthony J. Lomenzo

Chip Jones wrote:

"Dr. Anthony J. Lomenzo" wrote in message
[snipped]

Note to Chip! Chip, your name rings a bell...didn't you have a rather
elaborate ATC website { I could have the wrong person but your sector
mention after your name [ZTL] rings a bell ... as well as a secondary
website dealing with flight safety [read: crash] investigation issues?

Not me. :-)

Naturally instead of my doing the legwork first and digging it up, I
relied on memory [faulty in this case..] and sure enough, wrong person,
this person was out of Chicago and not the Atlanta region. Besides the
real-deal [and like others here who duly hold FAA tickets, presently or
back when...] I enjoy the flight sims inclusive of ATC sims. My comments
as to the adjunctive value of flight sims to the real deal is fairly
well known and I was/am one of those who tend to get away from the 'it's
a game' theme or mind-set of flight sims and prefer, if you will, the
flight sims as an adjunctive learning tool to the real McCoy...the
limitations [big bucks motion sims] notwithstanding.

It struck me however that not only are flight sims utilized by the
commercial folks and Uncle Sam [et al] to boot in an adjunctive capacity
but for some 12 to 16 weeks of initial professional ATC training, ATC
folks go to Oklahoma City [so I've read anyway] and use Doc Wesson's ATC
'SIMULATION' programs for their initial professional training.

In any event, I emailed this controller and he had an excellent website
tutorial on real-deal ATC and I recall commenting that I personally
would not want that kind of daily pressure cooker responsibility or
nightmares about 'deals' and making instant judgment calls in an often
hectic ['chaotic' atmosphere perhaps at some of the larger airports]
atmosphere that can effect so many lives. I daresay that the ATC
brethren perhaps have a high incidence, inter alia, of stomach ulcers!
Whew! I respect their profession and give them much credit but it's a
profession that I personally would not want to perform. I'll leave the
manipulation(s) of those separation issues and emergency actions or the
proverbial "string of pearls" goal to those professionals who can do it
and do it well. But, bottom line, I'm sure glad they are there!

Doc Tony

Chip, ZTL