Old January 8th 04, 06:24 PM
Gig Giacona

Check out www.bluemountainavionics.com

"Corky Scott" wrote in message
In the latest AOPA magazine there is an article on one of the latest
Diamond aircraft which is equipped with dual Garmin G1000's.

I was really impressed in many ways by the units. Compared to a
normal AI, the things are HUGE, they're something like 10.5 inches
diagonally. It's like looking at the horizon through a window instead
of seeing a representation on a little 3.5" instrument.

The problem, as always, is the price. You can get tiny screens like
that of the Dynon EFIS for around $2,000, but apparently when you
expand to large screen size, the cost goes up astronomically. It's a
bit tough to nail down exactly what one of these units costs but I'd
venture to say that $30,000 to $40,000 might cover it, maybe.

And of course you'd need two, one to display the artificial horizon,
the other to do the GPS chores as depicted in the Garmin website
picture, although both would be capable of all functions of course.
Imagine having as much in two instruments as you would normally expect
to pay for an entire airplane, WITH a certified aircraft engine. That
last sentence was for BOb. ;-)

Corky Scott