Old March 6th 07, 01:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Graeme Cant

Default Low towing thought

Ian Strachan wrote:

If you release while still in low tow, aside from what happens to the
rope, how does the tuggie know that you have gone? Radio?

One of the useful points of low tow is that a glider releasing causes a
definite nose down trim change (I'm told - I don't tow).

When tugging I have often wasted a few hundred feet of full-power
climb when the glider on the back has gone without either a mild
"twang" on the rope or a good visual indication by pulling up and
banking (from high tow) and seeing this in the tug's rear-view
mirror.

Perhaps some tuggies have a more sensitive bum than others?

GC

Ian Strachan
Lasham Tuggie