Old July 5th 06, 02:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Bob Noel

Default who here works for Garmin Inc?

In article ,
Jonathan Goodish wrote:

I'm not an operating system expert, but I don't see why the Windows
kernel couldn't be modified as required to meet whatever standards were
necessary. Companies who have these type of requirements likely have
extensive access to the source code and/or have access to the
appropriate resources at Microsoft. So I don't think it's as impossible
as you contend.

I'm not an OS expert either, but I considerable experience with the relevant
certification requirements. Windows, like pretty much any COTS OS, would require
so much modification that it would cease to be windows. And I doubt that
microsoft would expose themselves to the potential liability.

Hardly a secret. What is proprietary is how they got that first box with
windows certified (Level C) in the first place.

I guess that's why I said "poorly kept secret." I don't remember
Avidyne or Apollo advertising that their system used Windows, even
though it was fairly obvious that was the case.

iirc, Avidyne did. In any case, the people at Avidyne that I've meet were
open about it being windows-based. They wouldn't say how they achieved
compliance with 178B Level C objectives however.

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the