Old August 7th 07, 02:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default WX1000+ Stormscope problem

Kyprianos Biris wrote:
I recently got an L3 Avionics (ex BFGoodrich) WX1000+ stormscope
installed. [...] The problem is that the WX unit reboots on its own
every few minutes (5~10) displaying the intro. screen again. No error
reports, nothing, just a restart as if I had switched it off and on
again and then as soon as I choose the operation mode (120* or 360*)
it functions properly.

Disclaimer: This is based on experience with ground vehicles and
equipment. I don't have an A&P (United States aircraft mechanic license)
or an aircraft mechanic license from any other country. Some of this may
not be allowable owner maintenance. Some of this may not be allowable on
a certificated aircraft.

My first guess would be a power problem. Either one of the power wires
(to the bus) or ground wires (to the airframe) for the stormscope has an
intermittent connection. Sometimes this is a break in the middle of a
wire but often it happens at the ends, where the wire attaches to a
switch, circuit breaker, connector, etc.

On the ground, you might switch on the electrical system and try
(gently!) tapping on the panel around the stormscope, tapping on the
breaker that controls power to it, etc, to see if you can make it fail.
Or, it might not show up until you start the engine and have the engine
vibration too.

It's also pretty easy to plug in a connector so it makes good electrical
contact, but to forget to tighten the screws or latches so it *stays*
plugged in. (Ask me how I know.) If there are any multiple-pin
connectors on the stormscope, you might make sure that the locking
rings, or screws, or latches that hold them to the stormscope are
tightened.

Another possibility is that the wiring is basically OK, but the voltage
in your electrical system is sometimes too high or too low. The
stormscope might reset itself if it sees the input voltage being too
low or too high. You would probably be noticing problems with other
equipment, but do you have a voltmeter in the plane? What does it say?

Disclaimer: This is based on experience with ground vehicles and
equipment. I don't have an A&P (United States aircraft mechanic license)
or an aircraft mechanic license from any other country. Some of this may
not be allowable owner maintenance. Some of this may not be allowable on
a certificated aircraft.

Matt Roberds