Old January 27th 05, 10:57 PM
Scott D.

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 10:22:56 -0800, "Bob Gardner"
wrote:

I would guess that among those who participate in this newsgroup there are
only one or two (if that many) who have done the deed. The saying is a good
motivator, but hardly a prediction of things to come. IMHO saying
(internally) something like "three greens" at least twice before short final
should eliminate the possibility of landing gear up. Worked for me.

Bob Gardner

When I was first transitioning into a twin, I got into a sim to also
work on instrument procedures as well. During that time, I "Geared
Up" the simulator. It made a horrible sound. To this day, when I
fly, even if I am in a fixed gear aircraft, I always check the gear,
because I will always remember that sound. You will find me checking
the gear a minimum of 3 times and if the work load seems to be busy, I
will check it up to 5 times.

When I teach complex to students, I also make them check it at least 3
times. If we are in the pattern, it is on downwind, Base and final.
If we are coming straight in, its when we start slowing it down for
approach speed, so I usually call for 10 degrees flaps then gear down
within gear extension speed. Then about 2 miles out, and then again
on final. I also make sure that I, or the student, keep my hand on
the gear extension handle while the gear is in transit and once I see
the green lights, I call, 3 greens, red light out, and one in the
mirror (If it has a mirror). I also will pull the throttles back and
do a gear horn check to make sure that it does not sound.

Scott D

To email remove spamcatcher