Old August 26th 20, 05:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

Default Discus tail ballast leak

On Tuesday, August 25, 2020 at 9:46:18 PM UTC-6, andy l wrote:
On Monday, 24 August 2020 at 17:19:46 UTC+1, Dee wrote:
Great feedback guys, thank you! I now have a source to order the replacement boot. Hoping when we remove the rudder an access window won't have to be cut. We will be careful to keep outward tension on the cables.
Dee

No window needed. You don't need permanent tension on the cables. They only go about 4 inches forward until the swaged ferrule reaches the nylon tube sleeve, so just relax it forward, then pull out again when ready to reconnect. I use a suitable length single piece of string tied to both.

While you have the tail off, I do recommend checking or replacing the valve. You can overhaul the valve with a new rubber washer seal and check to see that there is a teflon or uhmw slide material on the angled ramp that opens the valve. I did both the bellows and valve at the same time last year during the PanAm. I was fortunate to have the spare parts on hand when the bellows gave out.