Old December 14th 18, 05:53 AM
Brett Brett is offline
Member

Location: New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard DalCanto View Post
I have a deposit on both with FES system. The JS3 would arrive in 2020. The Ventus maybe 2021. Reading the POH, the Ventus may have gentler stall characteristics (according to the manual with forward CG it won't drop a wing on stall either level or in a 45 degree bank). The JS3 manual makes it sound like it will drop a wing (which could be an issue close to terrain). Because of this, I'm leaning toward the Ventus despite the narrower cockpit and longer wait. Anyone flown both who is willing to comment? Or flown the JS3 and can comment on stall characteristics?

Thanks!
While I have not flown a Ventus 3 I hear they have great low speed handling characteristics the V2 had a reputation for. They are a lovely sailplane. I own a JS3 and I find it very predicable at low speed - it gives great feedback when the airspeed is lower than it likes and it gives the "mushy" stall with no wing drop unless I stall it sharply. Also consider that these sailplanes are designed for racing at higher wingloadings and handling characteristics move up the airspeed range accordingly.
If you have the experience to utilise the performance of these cutting edge sailplanes then you have nothing to fear from them. Close to terrain you should always be adding an airspeed margin anyway.
Either is a good choice.