Old August 10th 19, 04:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
danlj

Default Ventus rigging advice, please?

On Wednesday, August 7, 2019 at 8:02:20 PM UTC-5, 2G wrote:
On Wednesday, August 7, 2019 at 9:09:19 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Saturday, August 3, 2019 at 9:47:38 PM UTC-6, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
A clean set of pins and some lube goes a long way in rigging......period......

+1 for my Ventus B. I spent a year or two trying to figure out why, with all things to the best of my knowledge the same, sometimes the wings would protest and sometimes not. Fresh lube each rigging has provided the answer.

...and you simultaneously figured out how to align the wings to the fuse. Don't believe me? Misalign the wings and see if they still go on. Alignment is the key (I have had no problem assembling gliders w/o ANY lube)...

Agreed: "Alignment is the key"
BUT, in solo rigging the second wing tends to push the first back out.
There are TWO serviceable ways to handle this.
1: Align the first wing very carefully, so that the gap between fuselage and root is even and small, fore and aft, top and bottom. This takes a extra couple of minutes.
Then TAPE the gap. The tape holds the first wing in very nicely.
2: After aligning the first wing, insert the main spar pin less than halfway. Then fold a 3 x 5 card or similar stiff, thick paper several times and jam it into the gap between the pin and the "hat shelf".
This works very well until the pressure on the bolts that hold the "hat shelf" in place erodes the fiberglass. You can prep for this by reinforcing the bolt holes on the front surface of the "hat shelf" with aluminum or wood (glue holds wood better), and the edge the pressed against the main spar pin likewise.
I did this many years ago, and it greatly helped to hold the first wing in place.
3: I strongly recommend folding the seatback forward and NOT folding it back until the main spar pin is in place and saftied, to ensure against failing to insert it fully. (Wing gap tape *will* hold the wings on for at least an hour, but is not recommended...)