Old August 10th 19, 08:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Ventus rigging advice, please?

On Saturday, August 10, 2019 at 3:56:44 PM UTC+1, danlj wrote:

DO NOT put any aromatics on the carbon fiber parts!! the resin will absorb it slowly and eventually the sockets get smaller and the tubes larger. At first this helps snug the fit, but later it's hard to remove. The only safe lube in this regard is high-temperature graphite, which doesn't have the absorbable aromatics and does decrease friction to the cost of slightly dark fingers.

How I know? -- when I bought my Ventus 19 years ago, the owner said, "lubricate everything!" So I followed his lead, to my regret. Two years later, some 900-grit emery paper repaired the problem. Schempp-Hirth said, after hearing my story, "Lubricate nothing!!"

One reason to lube the metal fittings is to prevent fretting corrosion. Over-lubrication just captures dust.

As someone who has owned 5 (soon 6) Schempp-Hirth gliders I am struggling to come up with any carbon fibre (or GRP) parts I would ever think of greasing for ease of rigging.