Old August 11th 19, 02:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Ventus rigging advice, please?

Who would even think that advice to lubricate "everything" would include
FRP materials?

On 8/11/2019 2:05 AM, Ventus_a wrote:
;997573 Wrote:
On Saturday, August 10, 2019 at 3:56:44 PM UTC+1, danlj wrote:
-

DO NOT put any aromatics on the carbon fiber parts!! the resin will
absorb it slowly and eventually the sockets get smaller and the tubes
larger. At first this helps snug the fit, but later it's hard to remove.
The only safe lube in this regard is high-temperature graphite, which
doesn't have the absorbable aromatics and does decrease friction to the
cost of slightly dark fingers.

How I know? -- when I bought my Ventus 19 years ago, the owner said,
"lubricate everything!" So I followed his lead, to my regret. Two years
later, some 900-grit emery paper repaired the problem. Schempp-Hirth
said, after hearing my story, "Lubricate nothing!!"

One reason to lube the metal fittings is to prevent fretting corrosion.
Over-lubrication just captures dust.-

As someone who has owned 5 (soon 6) Schempp-Hirth gliders I am
struggling to come up with any carbon fibre (or GRP) parts I would ever
think of greasing for ease of rigging.

I agree. I've never considered lubricating any composite part on any of
gliders I've owned/operated. Metal fittings yes but otherwise just keep
everything clean

:-) Colin

--
Dan, 5J