Old May 14th 19, 01:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
C-FFKQ (42)

Default Nearest near-miss?

1981, during PPL training (I already had a GPL) at a military base in Canada that also did commercial and GA traffic.

ATC had given me clearance to land and I was about 50' above the tarmac in a C-152 when ATC called and said, "You are being overtaken by a Douglas 9, many knots". Looked out the back window to see that I was about to become a hood ornament. Instructor took over, firewalled the throttle and shifted to the side of the runway while trying to climb away. The DC-9 passed us about 10 seconds later on his rollout.