View Single Post
Old May 16th 19, 04:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

Default Nearest near-miss?

In the aftermath, the paperwork was the easiest part of the installation
in the Stemme.Â* Initially there was concern as there's no mention of the
Stemme on the Approved Model List.Â* Further investigation lead me to the
simple 337 route and my IA was good at accomplishing that.

The biggest difficulties were with the wiring.Â* The purchased interface
cable was not built to satisfy the requirements of the installation
manual.Â* The cable provided power to the TN70 from the TT22, whereas the
installation manual required that the TN70 be powered through a
dedicated circuit breaker.Â* Nor did the kit include a pneumatic
air/ground switch and the specified switch was much more expensive (of
course) than what could be had for experimental aircraft.Â* To get around
these hurdles I had to modify the cable by breaking the power circuit
and adding a ground wire to the air/ground switch.Â* In an airplane one
could use GPS ground speed to determine takeoff but, in a glider flying
wave, the glider could "land" at high altitude if its ground speed
dropped below the threshold.

My installation took me 3-4 days (in the winter) because I wanted it to
pass inspection and test, first time, with no "gotchas".Â* I'm glad it's
done!

On 5/15/2019 10:49 PM, Darryl Ramm wrote:
On Wednesday, May 15, 2019 at 8:20:19 PM UTC-7, son_of_flubber wrote:
On Wednesday, May 15, 2019 at 7:49:31 PM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
For a Standard category glider it was a big pain to install and get the
documentation correct and approved.

For me, the documentation was trivial. I made a logbook entry and got a PAPR https://adsbperformance.faa.gov/paprrequest.aspx (recommended but not required) The TT22 antenna got moved to a more optimal position further back in the fuselage, so I had got a fresh transponder compliance check (which was due anyways). My avionics tech looked over the installation that I did.

It was also very expensive

The TN72 including an interior mount antenna cost ~$400. I also bought a custom length antenna wire for the XPND for a few bucks. Craggy made the interconnect cable for me. I had a fun 5-6 hours doing the install. The transponder was installed by the previous owner.

WAAS GPS box is very large, nearly double the size of the XPND remote box.

The TN72 GPS box is smaller than the XPND remote box.

Fortunately, there's plenty of room behind the Stemme's panel for the
hardware.

No room left behind my panel, so I mounted a piece of plywood vertically behind my headrest on the turtle deck, and mounted the boxes to it. Provisions made to ensure air circulation. Space occupied is 2.5 inches front to back, 4" vertical, and full width of the turtle deck. Radio & vario speakers and a 'dashcam' are mounted to the same piece of plywood. I still have room on the turtledeck for a compression stuffsack of rain/cold/etc. gear, food, water for landouts.

I haven't had a "close encounter" since installing a
transponder about 7 years ago.

As noted in my post above, one month after my install, I had one confirmed 'problem averted' with a GA airplane that could only 'see me' on their ADS-B-in screen. Better visibility to GA airplanes is the big win.

It's fantastic you both installed 1090ES out, and the point that a TN72 install is pretty easy is a great one... if anybody has a Trig transponder adding a TN72 should be easy.

But now what are you guys comparing? Dan was talking about a 2020 Compliant (aka SIL=3) ADS-B Out install in a type certificated glider, so the need for the fancier TSO-C145c TN70 GPS with it's extra space and cost (compared to a TN72 GPS).

Now that's being compared to a 2020 Compliant install in an experimental glider right? Hence the TN72, smaller size, lower cost and slightly easier process (no 337 submitted).

It's unfortunate that the ADS-B out install is different between a type certified and experimental glider, frustrating, it makes no justifiable sense and the extra cost/small hassle increase may affect adoption and overall safety. But that is how it is. We know it's more expensive, but the process to do this has some extra paperwork but should just not be daunting, and the install should not be technically challenging. Any A&P should be able to do that (should not need to be an IA)... obviously you want somebody who you trust to work on a gliders.

And a reminder you can use a TN72 in a type certified glider to do TABS (aka SIL=1) but not 2020 Compliance (SIL=3), that gets you everything except visibility to ATC via ADS-B (they still see you via SSR within SSR coverage) and does not get you any 2020 Airspace flight privileges (the remaining airspace that the glider/engine powered generator... exemption does not cover). You can also use the TN72 to do TABS if you have a TT21 but not TT22 in an experiential glider (2020 compliance requires a TT22).

--
Dan, 5J