Old November 1st 03, 02:47 AM
Ron Rosenfeld

On 31 Oct 2003 15:34:33 -0500, (Roy Smith) wrote:

So, what went wrong? Did I goof? Am I supposed to fly the SID (not a
DP) even though it's not in the clearance? Is it more likely that it
was in the clearance but I just didn't hear it and the controller
didn't notice that it wasn't in the readback?

According to my Jepp charts, the Westchester-1 departure *is* an Obstacle
departure procedure. If you were flying under Part 91, there is no
obligation to fly either an obstacle DP or a SID if they are not given to
you in the clearance.

However, it is your right to fly any ODP, even if it is not given to you in
your clearance.

If you don't fly the ODP, you are responsible for your own obstacle
clearance until you are receiving radar vectors from the controller.

At an unfamiliar airport, I will fly any published ODP's. But at a
familiar airport, I might take some shortcuts if I know I can maintain
obstacle clearance.