Old May 5th 04, 03:58 AM
Doug Campbell

Default Jepp vs NOS at PRB

I was training with Jepp charts, and my partner (safety pilot) had NOS, and
we
were attempting the VOR DME (GPS) B approach into Paso Robles. The Jepp
chart shows the procedure turn (when starting at the VOR, not the arc)
starting
at 6 DME from the VOR, while the NOS chart shows it starting outside the 10
DME arc. Anyone know which is "right" or if it even matters? My instructor
didn't
know, and the DE for my checkride today (passed, by the way) said the NOS
was
probably "right" since it was much newer than the Jepp plate. But which is
ATC
expecting me to fly? DE said "fly what YOUR chart says (Jepp), but I'd like
more defendable answer.

Screwed it up anyway, as we talked about both the A and B VOR approaches,
and
I ended up with the A approach on the clip, but got cleared for B, so had to
recover
after the fact. Man, will I EVER stop making dumb mistakes?

TIA, Doug