Old May 5th 04, 11:45 AM
Ron Rosenfeld

On Tue, 4 May 2004 19:58:29 -0700, "Doug Campbell"
wrote:

I was training with Jepp charts, and my partner (safety pilot) had NOS, and
we
were attempting the VOR DME (GPS) B approach into Paso Robles. The Jepp
chart shows the procedure turn (when starting at the VOR, not the arc)
starting
at 6 DME from the VOR, while the NOS chart shows it starting outside the 10
DME arc. Anyone know which is "right" or if it even matters? My instructor
didn't
know, and the DE for my checkride today (passed, by the way) said the NOS
was
probably "right" since it was much newer than the Jepp plate. But which is
ATC
expecting me to fly? DE said "fly what YOUR chart says (Jepp), but I'd like
more defendable answer.

Screwed it up anyway, as we talked about both the A and B VOR approaches,
and
I ended up with the A approach on the clip, but got cleared for B, so had to
recover
after the fact. Man, will I EVER stop making dumb mistakes?

TIA, Doug

Well, I hate to say this, and I may be wrong (being a Jepp chart user), but
I think you, your instructor and the DE are all misinterpreting the NACO
chart.

Nowhere on the chart does it say to start the PT outside the 10 DME. As a
matter of fact, given the plan view restriction to remain within 10 miles
(of ILSIC), if you did not start the PT until the PRB 10 DME, you would
only have 3 miles in which to complete the PT!

The PT barb is shown where it's shown for charting convenience. But where
you start the turn is up to you, and you can start it any place after
ILSIC.

AIM 5-4-8 a.1. On U.S. Government charts, a barbed arrow indicates the
direction or side of the outbound course on which the procedure turn is
made. Headings are provided for course reversal using the 45 degree type
procedure turn.

**However, the point at which the turn may be commenced and the type and
rate of turn is left to the discretion of the pilot.**

(Emphasis mine)