Old July 11th 03, 12:03 PM
David Megginson

(journeyman) writes:

I know that, statistically, GA flying is more dangerous than driving
hour for hour, but I still find driving much scarier (and I have to do
a lot more of it).

The stats are not comparable because they collect them using different
bases, but the best estimate seems to be that flying is about an order
of magnitude more dangerous than driving, comparable to motorcycling,
but I easily spend more than an order of magnitude driving, so over
my lifetime, driving is a bigger risk.

I fly about 10-15 hours/month. Fortunately, I don't have to spend
much more than that in the car, since I don't commute to work and I
live in an urban neighbourhood where I can do my shopping on foot.
That makes flying more risky for me, relatively speaking, but my
overall risk level is lower. I do everything I can to make both
flying and driving safer.

I wonder if anyone has ever compared the risk of GA flying to the risk
of being 30 lb overweight, say, for a 35-55 year-old male?

All the best,

David

--
David Megginson,