Old August 24th 05, 08:52 PM
Andreas Maurer

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 11:25:51 -0600, "Bill Daniels"
wrote:

Does it strike some of the digerati here that expensive mechanical
altimeters with easily mis-read clock-like hands locked into either the
metric or US measurement systems are archaic?

GPS provides highly accurate, although not ATC compliant, altitude. Various
vendors provide electronic pressure altimeters with digital displays that
can be switched between meters and feet with the push of a button. Digital
pressure altitude sensors drive the "glass cockpits" of new GA aircraft.

I seems to me that clock-like altimeters designed 70 years ago and
maintained by watchmakers must be nearing their well-deserved retirement.

How many times have you praised yourself for having instruments on
board that do not need electricity to work properly?

I did that dozens of times - electricity is definitely not a reliable
thing in gliders.

Bye
Andreas