Old July 29th 08, 12:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
B A R R Y[_2_]

Default Filing IFR flight Plan in VMC

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
B A R R Y wrote:
You're still VFR while flying IFR practice approaches. No separation
or terrain warning is provided.

FAA policy is to provide separation to VFR aircraft while conducting
practice instrument approaches where it is practical to do so. Generally,
that means Class D airspace or higher with good radar coverage.

It very well could be traffic volume, but I am often specifically told
"no separation services..." by PVD and BDL during practice approaches.

I appreciate the clarification as I hear it so often I thought it was SOP.

Real requests for approach usually include the "Are you rated and
equipped?" query if you're not arriving on an IFR plan.

Shouldn't be. It is reasonable to assume the pilot is capable of the
service he requests. There is a requirement to ask the pilot if he is
qualified for and capable of conducting IFR flight when a VFR aircraft
requests radar assistance when it encounters or is about to encounter IFR
weather conditions. But in that case it's the controller that's suggesting
IFR, not the pilot requesting it.

That's what I'm talking about. A VFR aircraft arriving at an IFR
airport, so it needs an IFR approach. This is very common on Cape Cod
and the Islands. I hear Cape and Boston approach ask the question so
often, my rarely flying pax even know what it means.