Old May 4th 09, 06:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Some improvements to my Airport Information website

On May 1, 4:52*pm, 2KA wrote:
As I previously announced (see my posting on April 1), I have built a
little website that publishes US airport information that has been
extracted from the FAA's National Airspace System Resource
subscription files. *The site supports several different output
formats including SeeYou .CUP, Cambridge Aero .DAT, and .NDB for the
SN-10. *You can also find some hints there for using the data in
Volksloggers and generic Garmin GPS units.

You can access my site athttp://www.xmission.com/~lalley/aviation.

Since I did the original implementation, I've made several
improvements:

1. *User-selectable lengths for short names in the output file. *This
should be especially useful for Garmin GPS devices, different models
of which support different turnpoint name lengths.

2. *A proximity search, so that you can use an input turnpoint file
that doesn't contain the IATA ID codes. *If an airport turnpoint in
the input file is very close to one in the FAA's database, they are
assumed to be the same.

3. *Support for tab-delimited input files that don't contain the full
complement of columns. *As long as the input file follows the correct
tab-delimited format and specifies at least the names and geographic
coordinates of the turnpoints, it should work.

4. *More explicit error handling when an input file of the incorrect
format is used.

The most common error I have seen so far is the use of an input
turnpoint file of the incorrect type, *hence #4 above. *I currently
support only SeeYou (.CUP) and tab-delimited.

Since the information on the site is unlicensed, it is free and freely
redistributable. *Happy downloading!

Lynn Alley
"2KA"

Nice resource!

I like #2 since I often combine files. One question: if i use an
input turnpoint file does the result use the original turnpoint
location or the location from the FAA database. I'd hate to hook a
turnpoint in a contest later to find that i missed because I was using
a relocated turnpoint.

9B