Old August 12th 13, 06:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Junior World Championships - FAI Rules Absurdity

On Sunday, August 11, 2013 8:54:56 PM UTC-7, Tony wrote:
On Sunday, August 11, 2013 2:10:47 PM UTC-5, Kevin Christner wrote:

We've heard a lot of arguments for and against instituting FAI rules in the US. For the record, I lean towards the FAI rules.

I agree with you Kevin, and I suspect most in the US at least do.

I'm curious whether people like the idea of consistency with FAI rules as a matter of principle regardless of issues like this or if they prefer FAI rules based on a point-by-point comparison of the FAI us US rules and find the FAI versions superior?

For instance, do people prefer the FAI 4km/300 foot finish cylinder over the US 1-2 mile 500-1000 foot finish cylinder? If so, what is it that people find preferable about finishing at 300 feet 2.4 miles from the home airport? Just to do the math for you, that's a 44:1 glide from the finish to zero feet at the airport.

9B