Old October 7th 04, 06:36 PM
Tim Mara

Generally Microair radios are OK....there is a late revision to the M760
(Revision N) that came out earlier this year, apparently addressing some
problems of earlier versions.
In my own personal opinion, there is nothing available yet that is as good
as the Walter Dittel radios, these are just terrific and have always been
so.we have some gliders still sporting FSG40's from the 1970's. There are
other radios that are also "good" and work well in gliders, I just would
rate none of these alternatives as being "AS good". Almost any of the
current radios, once they have made it beyond the warranty period rarely
have problems for a very long time afterwards since most problems with
avionics will show up early on.
Microair is quite good with warranty and repairs and we are working
currently at setting up a repair and warranty facility here in the
USA....though it is not in place yet.
My suggestion, since you already have the radio and the investment would be
to send it in and get it repaired and updated to the current version and
give it a second chance, the shipping and repair costs will be relatively
minor...I think you'll find it will be an OK radio...or call me and I'll be
happy to offer you a good trade-in towards any other radio I can offer
(Becker, Walter Dittel, Microair, Filser, Icom ect)
Tim
www.wingsandwheels.com

"Steve Hill" wrote in message
A couple of years ago I purchased a brand new MicroAir 760 tranceiver. I
kept it in the box, planning on exchanging it, as my trusty old Dittel
FSG60m was starting to make funny noises and not quite act right...When
the
Dittel finally gave up the ghost one day, I set to installing the
MicroAir.
My first flight with the new radio was great other pilots said it was very
clear and easy to hear and be heard. And the next day...nothing. It just
quit allowing transmission. I can hear others, but can't reply.

Of course now it's out of factory warranty, and the factory simply says
send
it back and they'll fix it and charge me...but I have spoken to several
other radio shops and they all either roll their eyes, or make a similar
grimace and then direct me to spend the money on replacing it entirely and
chalk it up to a $750 mistake.

I guess what I'm looking for is A: Has anyone out there had decent
experiences with this radio..? And B: Is it generally the consensus that
it's really not a worthy piece of equipment to have in the cockpit?

When I consider the investment of a few hundred bucks in comparison to the
investment in the rest of the sailplane I'm not really worried about the
money as much as just being duped...and I don't want to see others head
down
the same path.

Any comments...?

Steve Hill