Old December 25th 06, 02:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Linc

Default Flying in Germany ---------- Medivac

boB,

Good stuff! We're underpowered again, thanks to all the armament and
the boxes to run it, but the engine is extremely reliable. I have never
had a serious engine issue (knock on wood) and I attribute it to the
maintenance crews who manage the aircraft I get to fly. A little credit
goes to Rolls Royce as well, who seem to take the whole engine failure
thing very seriously and work hard to keep a reliable product in the
system.

We still live in and beneath the avoid bubble of the height-velocity
curve. Some things never change, I guess.

My last questions are, "How would they know the difference, whether you
were coming in with the goggles or not?" Or were you flying GM-5s?
shudders I flew GM-5s once in AO school. It was a great night to fly
goggles but it was like flying on the very worst night with ANVIS.

Merry Christmas

Linc

boB wrote:
Linc wrote:
boB,

I would never bust on you for it, and anyone who would, "they should
hold their manhood cheap." I find it a prudent course of action and
like I said, if you have the tools to use, you handicap yourself by not
using them. My goal is to always live to fly another day.

Speaking of those rules, were they host-nation, USAREUR, or homegrown
within the unit?

Linc

Hi Linc. My unit flew out of Stuttgart International. My company was a
tactical unit flying OH58D's within a General Support Battalion. If it
would have been an Army Airfield the rules can be changed to suit the
training but the German Government wasn't keen to allow something they
deemed unsafe so we had to abide by the rules of the host country. It
usually wasn't that bad, .... what am I saying, it was Germany, it
seemed it was always bad...... My unit was a part of 7th Corp which
deployed to Desert Shield/Storm in December 1990.

But then again, flying in Germany was a LOT less restrictive than flying
in the US. Helicopter flights within Germany were usually flown below
500 feet and when the threat was elevated were were required to fly
below 100 feet. You could land where-ever you wanted throughout the
countryside as long as you weren't landing beside a farmer on his
tractor. It sounds fun, and it was if you were in an area you knew. But
flying across new terrain was a constant effort to see and avoid wires.
It got stressful at times and you were almost always on the wrong side
of the dead man's curve. But the Bell helicopters came through fine and
could be depended on for getting you out of bad situations. (except for
the AH-1Q's and OH58A's, the underpowered hogs)

--

boB
copter.six

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
Central Texas
5NM West of Gray Army/Killeen Regional (KGRK)