Old July 16th 10, 01:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stu Fields

Default World's loudest airplane

"vaughn" wrote in message

"Stu Fields" wrote in message

First, just bring along some of those EAR foam plugs that you should find
at most any FBO shop, lose that attitude, and enjoy the airshow!

Second, I also see the changes in the EAA that you are talking about and
agree that the EAA is losing focus. Myself, I have never built an
experimental airplane and probably never will, yet I have been supporting
the EAA and occasionally attending Oshkosh for decades. Probably MOST EAA
members are more like me than like you, so the apparent drift in the EAA's
direction is not surprising.

I think that the EAA's focus should be on affordable aviation, with more
focus on encouraging local chapters than on building an Aviation
Disneyland in Oshkosh.

Vaughn

Vaughn: I know I'm getting blase about some of these airshow things. I
rarely look up anymore when some guy is tumbling his airplane all over the
sky. We've just seen it so many times. I've had all the Harrier hovers
that I want when I can do the same thing for a lot less noise and a lot less
fuel. Cavelamb said it well "Aviation Disneyland at Oshkosh". One of the
main reasons for me attending events like Oshkosh is to meet and talk to
others like me. It gets difficult if I have to wear ear plugs a large
percentage of the time. Expensive booth prices and you can't talk to
customers when the Harrier is hovering or the jets are coming by with full
afterburner.
Yes EAA has changed directions but the need for an Experimental Aviation
Association still exists. I belong to a local chapter and am amazed at the
amount of bureaucratic crap that has to go on to have a get-together of a
bunch of like-minded individuals. We've lost something valuable here.
Kathy & I produce the Experimental Helo Magazine and are finding a growing
group of people that aren't being serviced by EAA. Especially in the
Rotorcraft area.
Maybe the EAA should morph into ADLO. Aviation Disney Land Oshkosh. I like
that.