Old August 23rd 10, 11:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
xlch58

Default Antique 3 cyl 4 stroke radial engine used in an aircraft circa 1930s?

On Aug 22, 10:14*pm, "Bob Murray" wrote:
"Stu Fields" wrote in message

"John" wrote in message
On Aug 19, 2:53 am, "Bob Murray" wrote:
There was a Lenape "Papoose", even found on some early Cubs.

Szekely?

No, as I recall the Szekely had exposed rockers that had to be oiled by
hand prior to flight. *My Uncle had a Buhl Pup with the Szekely.
The engine I saw had cylinders believed to come from an Indian MC.

May have been a homebrew. *All the Indians that I know about were
flatheads,.
Bob

The old flying and glider mags had plans for a three cylinder
Harley. Someone may have adapted it to Indian jugs. Indians were
flatheads, but the OP never stated OHV. There were conversions back
in the day and a few factory race bikes had OHV I think. In the
thirties there were a number of production three cylinder radials,
after the war they were all gone, as the opposed cylinder engine
displaced everything else in the small engine category and the turbine
ate up the big engine category.

Charles

Charles