Old November 5th 05, 07:43 PM
Roger

Default John Dyke

On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 16:38:13 GMT, john smith wrote:

From my vantage point this looks like simple greed on the
part of Mr. Dyke for the sale of another set of drawings.

Am I missing something? Has anybody actually seen this
notion applied as a legal precedent in the past?

Who is being greedy here?

I guess I see this differently than most others. I don't see any one
being greedy...yet.

What prevents the plans from being resold indefinitely each time the
possessor dies and the estate tries to make money off from the sale?

The plans should be good for one airplane. If one is built of started
they go with the plane. If none has been started they should be good
for one. That seems simple to me.

Mr Dyke owns the rights to the plans. If someone wants to buy a set of
plans and build the aircraft, they should be purchasing the plans from
Mr Dyke, not an estate of someone who had purchased a set of plans from

The thing missed by everyone so far is" "What does the contract say"?

There should be a set of terms with the plans.The terms should come
with the plans, not published some where else. If they say to the
original purchaser only that's quite plain, it also means they
wouldn't transfer, unless specific language is there to allow it.

HOWEVER If there is no language that says they are for the original
purchaser only then as long as no airplane has been built of they are
not part of a partial, under construction they should still be good.

However if they go with a project, all you need is to have gotten
things ready to start building for them to be part of a project. But
it'd have to be something that would go with the planes, not just my
planning. Construction materials, tools, any thing associated with
building the plane.

I started my G-III by purposely building a shop in which to build the
plane. Were it not for the G-III I'd not have the shop which is a
great place to work on all kinds of projects. Of course the G-III is
not plans built.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Mr Dyke.