Old January 18th 18, 04:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default More 3's?

Hi Krasw,

apologies for my ignorance in this case, but could you briefly guide me to a link to that Kawa interview/comment?

My (superficial) impression from the last two long final glides was that both ships are performing more or less equally in capable hands even under slightly different conditions
- Tuesday was a 87 Km final glide (with practically identical flight paths from TP 4 with 55 Km to go) at assumed airspeeds above the "optimized" flight envelope (i.e. above 220-230 km/h IAS) - the winning V3 and JS1 crossed the finish line within 9 seconds
- Yesterday the 5 leaders were within 5 seconds after their 100+ Km spectacular ridge line dash at probably more representative speeds around 170-200 Km/h (in this case probably with some small differences in micromanaging their individual flight paths and their willingness to hug the rocks). Even the ASG 29 which is probably a bit handicapped due to the 52 Kg/m2 wingload limit instead of the usual MTOW limitation came in within 25 secs...

With these few data points I was under an initial low confidence impression of some kind of "equality" of V3 and JS 1 at least in the high speed ranges (I have no useful observations regarding handling/climbing differences or performance in the low to mid speed range...) - but obviously a comment from Kawa that the V3 outperforms his JS 1 in final glide would supersede that initial impression.

Thanks and best
Marc