Old October 21st 18, 05:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Whelan[_3_]

Default Greatful for this group

On 10/21/2018 9:37 AM, Dan Marotta wrote:
I recall from my Air Force training, a drawing of the total lift curve and the
position of the aircraft along it, and the explanation went something like this:

When power is applied, the aircraft speed increases causing, an increase in
lift, which causes the aircraft to climb at the trimmed speed. Reduce power
and the speed decreases causing a decrease in lift, which causes the aircraft
to descend at the trimmed speed.Â* In either case, the speed change was only
momentary.Â* If the position of the flight controls is not changed, power
controls altitude.

On 10/21/2018 9:15 AM, James Betker wrote:

Snip of intervening discussion...
"when you crank up the throttle, airspeed rises."Â* I would respectfully
submit that when you add throttle you climb, you pitch to remain at
constant altitude which is why the airspeed goes up?Â* I know in a T-33 I
would rather depend on pitch than power to recover from impending stall,
same with T-6,... gliders, helicopters.

I'm not an aerodynamicist, so I can't say for sure. I just know from what
experience I have that planes seem to speed up AND climb when power is
added. I'm sure there's an equation out there somewhere..

Totally agree with you about pitch. Not saying your question has no merit,
just that it is worded in a way that might confuse some folks.

Dern Dan, your USAF instructors would be proud and gratified to learn you were
paying attention!

FWIW, your understanding is the same one I obtained via obtaining an aerospace
engineering degree - lotsa graphs! - and subsequent decades of self-education.
My sense is a lot of pilots tend to (overlook? not-well-grasp?) the sheer
dynamic transience of the phenomenon of a wing generating lift in a dynamic
medium (air) inter-acting with Joe Pilot's inputs (via
stick/throttle/spoilers/etc.).

Bob W.

---
https://www.avg.com