Old May 21st 08, 03:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Sliker[_3_]

Default Epoxy is really crap for homebuilding

Can't figure it out!!!?? you don't think the odor of amonia is stinky?
I hate to say it, but breathing that epoxy or some other substances
has burned out your olfactory nerves if you don't find Aeropoxy
objectionable. Although, I have used epoxies that smell like the stuff
in those 5 minute tubes. It;'s not that bad. And I just ordered a
different brand, hoping it will not have that amonia odor to it. And
my Aeropoxy has sat around for a while, and the hardner has turned a
deep red color, so all my layups are now deep red. I've read the
manufactures info on that, and they say that's a normal aging effect
of the hardner and dosen't affect the strength. But I wonder if it
make the smell worse.. hmm..

On Tue, 20 May 2008 13:34:58 -0700 (PDT), BobR
wrote:

I can't quite figure out what the heck you are talking about. I have
worked with epoxy for the last 10 years including Aeropoxy, E-Z Poxy,
West and Hysol. I can not understand you comment about the "stinky"
part at all. I will totally agree with you that Vinyl Ester stinks to
the high heavens but have never experienced any such problem with
epoxy formulations. I can't even stand to work with completed parts
made using the Vinyl Ester but not so with epoxy parts.

I also can't agree with the Toxic comment regarding epoxy since it is
much less toxic than either Vinyl Ester or Polyester Resins.

Guess this is just another case of beauty being in the eye of the
beholder. I rather enjoy working with composites and prefer them to
working with metals.