Old December 8th 03, 08:06 AM
Ian Godfrey

"The CO" wrote in message

"Ian Godfrey" wrote in message
i think the whole missile defence thing is a crock

theres not the slightest bit of evidence it'd work

"...and I told Orville and I told Wilbur, that thing will never
fly......"

Better minds than ours appear to think otherwise. Probably won't be
100% effective but then
what is? If they lauch say, 10 missiles at us and some, say 3 fail in
some phase (unlikely they will all work perfectly either)
and it gets 5 of those that don't, well would you rather have 2 nukes to
clean up after or 7? Nothings certain or perfect
but it seems to me that it's worth a go. No real down side, and if it
*does* work we are at worst safer than we were.

Note that I don't consider whining from Indonesia and Malaysia to be a
'real down side'..

neither do i.
they complain we got F111s

theyd whine more if we got a squadron of Airbus multirole tanker transports,
and a damn sight louder than if we were just participating in missile
defence.

thats something i'd pay money for just for the fun of it. regardless of the
defence benefits to be able to extend the range of the f111 and bring all
those flanker bases in the region to heel.

The CO