Old February 5th 05, 07:20 AM
Dale

In article ,
"Mike W." wrote:

detectors of and the need for same. and, if the detector goes off i
should then....?

open the windows, close the cabin vent and shut off cabin heat so that no
air from the engine area gets routed into the cabin. get it on the ground
asap.

whats the deal with o2. it doesn't really seem all that expensive and
it seems like it should be the pilots drug of choice. wrong(again)?

the O2 itself isn't expensive, but a small bare-bones o2 bottle with
regulator and cannula will run about $500. which is worth it if you need and
use it frequently, but kind of a luxury item if you don't, just be aware of
situations where hypoxia is possible and avoid them.

I had this happen just out of Haines Junction enroute to Northway, AK.
Engine backfired on startup, didn't think anything of it, took off and
started noticing exhaust smell. Opened the side window and vent, stuck
my nose up next to the vent and boogied ahead to Burwash landing...10-15
minutes or less. OAT was about 40F, all I was wearing was a nomex
flight suit...was rather "brisk". G

Landed Burwash, disconnected the heater scat-tube, put on a T-shirt
under the nomex and continued to ANC...was a long cold flight.

--
Dale L. Falk

There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing
as simply messing around with airplanes.

http://home.gci.net/~sncdfalk/flying.html