Old May 8th 04, 10:23 AM
Dave S

Nathan Young wrote:

On Fri, 7 May 2004 11:02:22 -0400, "Paul Safran"
wrote:

I seem to have read or been told once that,
one can file an IFR flightplan with remark for
VFR flight conditions when not instrument rated,
or current, to get routing and practice within the system.
Comments?

I'm not an expert, but believe an IR is required to file an IFR
flightplan. This makes sense as the controllers can't be expected to
know whether or not they will be vectoring you into IMC conditions,
and whether or not you can handle it.

Not quite correct. An Instrument rating is required to operate under an
IFR clearance. Anyone can "file" it. What this person COULD be trying to
do is prefile for radar services/flight following.

Filing a VFR plan goes to FSS. Filing an "IFR" plan goes to Center/ATC.
This isnt tooo unlike what is happening in the DC ADIZ, P49 and other
selected locations (Without referring to the specifics, here goes). You
can operate VFR out of there, but you have to have a discreet code and
are in continuous contact with ATC (essentially flight following). The
mechanism that this occurs is by inputting you into the "IFR" system
with a "VFR" tag or stipulation.

But I agree, its not ATC's job to keep you out of clouds.

What you can do is ask controllers for VFR practice approaches, this
will help with IFR radio comm in the terminal environment.

For IFR radio comm enroute, this is harder to duplicate, but VFR
flight following is reasonably close to IFR comms. What you won't get
is clearances and reroutes.

Departing Love or some other busy fields (Besides Houston), your VFR
departure clearance is quite similar to the material you would get
during an IFR clearance. I agree about the reroutes, though.

Dave

-Nathan