Old December 2nd 13, 02:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Soaring vacation this January or February?

Good tip on the acro! I've been flying acro in a Super Decathlon for years, and I really appreciate the way that a lot of attitudes and maneuvers that were unsettling (to put it politely!) are now enjoyable to fly with increasing precision. It's made me a much more capable pilot.

As a new glider pilot, I'd really like to do some soaring. I worked like a beaver to get my glider add-on rating last winter, and just didn't have much time to play with thermals. It looks like Florida (either Miami or Zephyrhills) and Hawaii are the two options for the winter, but that I'd probably see much better thermals if I wait until Spring when the real bumpy air is afoot.