Old December 26th 18, 03:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Recirculate cockpit air to keep feet warm?

I've had electric insoles and they were worthless.Â* I've also used
chemical heaters and they worked somewhat, but it was uncomfortable
having something wedged inside my shoe.Â* Now we use insulated booties
which fit over sneakers and hold in the body's own heat. I've flown many
hours in wave and my feat stayed toasty regardless of the sun or lack
thereof.Â* On one trip where it was exceptionally cold, I opened a
chemical heater at altitude and stuck it inside my jacket to help keep
my core warm.

These look quite bulky, but they're soft and fit into my pedal area.Â* It
is a Stemme, however so there's a bit of extra room.Â* I have a friend
who flies an HpH 304CZ and he wears them every time in the winter months.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

On 12/26/2018 12:01 AM, Darryl Ramm wrote:
On Tuesday, December 25, 2018 at 9:53:19 PM UTC-8, wrote:
As we know, flying in wave with the sun shining, much of the cockpit stays reasonably warm, but the feet, down in the shade, get cold. So, as I'm here at home on a cold night with a fan helping distribute the heat from the wood stove to another room, it occurred to me that something like that may be possible in the cockpit? A small fan (using a fraction of the electric power that the typical instrument panel uses), perhaps with a short duct, could move sun-warmed air towards the feet. Has that been tried? Does it help? Would it use more electrical power than electrically heated insoles?

Back when I flew an HP-14 which had a canopy that extended forward over the rudder pedals, my feet were much warmer in cold but sunny weather than they are in my current glider. As long as I was pointed towards the sun, that is - typically pointed into a West wind in the afternoon. As soon as I turned around to the East the cockpit temperature plunged.

It's not sun warmed air at play. It's sun warmed legs/feet.

--
Dan, 5J